Department of Art Admission Requirements:
To be admitted into the Department of Art, applicants must present a combined SAT score of 910 and a portfolio containing twelve digital images of original work. Slides of sculptures, ceramics or other three-dimensional works should show two views of each piece. Digital images should be presented in a slide page, each slide must be clearly marked as to title, materials, size and date. Art History students may submit copies of graded research papers. Portfolios should be addressed to the Chairman of the Department of Art and must contain sufficient stamps for return postage.
In addition, the following items may be considered in determining eligibility for admission:
- high school grade point average of 2.0 minimum (equivalent to the grade of C)
- interview and/or completed questionnaire
- written statement of purpose (essay)
- letters of recommendation
Students enrolled in the Art History B.A. degree program must meet the standards and requirements set by the college and the university.
To apply to the HU Department of Art, start by visiting the Howard University Admission website. You will also need to submit a visual arts portfolio.
For admission to the B.F.A. degree program, applicants who plan on majoring in Studio Arts must submit a portfolio of artwork to the Department of Art through the department’s Slideroom.com portfolio submission portal (http://huart.slideroom.com).
A portfolio of 12-15 digital images and videos of original creative works (with no more than 2-3 views of any one work), must be prepared and presented via the Slideroom.com portfolio submission portal (URL’s are also acceptable if the work is presented online in quality form). Each image must be clearly labeled with the title of the work, materials or media of creation, size, and date of creation.
These original creative works must be prepared according to the guidelines:
- Static Two-Dimensional imagery: JPEG or PNG Formats are acceptable;
- Three-Dimension Pieces (i.e. sculpture, ceramics, fashion, 3D modeling): JPEG Format including 2-3 views of the work OR video presentation including revolving views of the work;
- Motion graphics and video: MP4, Mv4, FLV and AVI Formats, links to YouTube and Vimeo portfolio pages are acceptable for motion graphics and video;
- Size of digital images: no less than 800 x 600 ppi (pixels per inch);
- Please include with each artwork submission in your presentation:
- Title of the Work
- Materials or Media used to created the work
- Size of actual piece of work represented by the digital images. Size of work should be relative to the media with which it was created (for traditional media, use inches; for static digital media, use pixel dimensions; and for motion graphics and video use pixel dimensions and time in minutes and seconds)
- Date of creation
- Written Statement of Purpose or Artist Statement: A copy must be submitted with the portfolio;
- Two References: A copy of each reference must be submitted with the portfolio;
Physical portfolios are still being accepted, but online submissions are preferred.
Physical portfolios may be mailed to:
Department of Art
Division of Fine Arts
College of Arts and Sciences
2455 Sixth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20059