MFA Graduate Program Admissions
To apply to the HU Department of Art Master of Fine Arts Graduate Program, visit HU Admission website.
Students applying for acceptance into the Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) program must have a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 for admission into the program. Applicants with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 may be admitted on probationary basis and may be required to take one or two undergraduate courses without credit towards the M.F.A. degree. To remove the probationary status, students must receive a satisfactory report from the instructor of such courses and must obtain a GPA average of 3.0 or better in their first semester at Howard. Failure to obtain the required GPA will result in automatic suspension of the student from the graduate program.
Art Department Specific Requirements
Applicants must also submit:
1. A portfolio of 20 digital images with no more than two views of any one work, presented on a CD Rom (URL’s are also acceptable if the work is presented online in quality form). Each image should be clearly labeled with the title of the work, materials or media of creation, size, and date of creation.
These original creative works must be prepared according to the guidelines:
- Static Two-Dimensional imagery: JPEG Format in a Powerpoint Presentations Slideshow (.ppt or .pps);
- Three-Dimension Pieces (i.e. sculpture, ceramics, fashion, 3D modeling): JPEG Format including 2-3 views of the work;
- Motion graphics and video: Use MP4 Format along with pixel dimensions;
- Size of digital images: no less than 800 x 600 ppi
- Please include with each image:
- Title of the Work
- Materials or Media used to created the work
- Size of actual piece of work represented by the digital images. Size of work should be relative to the media with which it was created (for traditional media, use inches; for static digital media, use pixel dimensions; and for motion graphics and video use pixel dimensions and time in minutes and seconds)
- Date of creation
- Physical portfolios are still being accepted.
Mail portfolios to:
MFA Graduate Program
Department of Art
Division of Fine Arts
College of Arts and Sciences
2455 Sixth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20059
2. A biographical essay, typed and double-spaced consisting of no more than two pages.
3. Two letters of recommendation.
Click here to read more about the MFA program and courses of study.