This handbook is designed for students in the Department of Art. Its purpose is to clarify questions that relate specifically to the policies, regulations, and operating procedures of the Department of Art. The handbook is available in the Art Department office in print and electronic (pdf) formats. The number of printed copies is limited; therefore, students are advised to retain their printed copies. For more detailed information concerning a specific subject area, students should consult their appropriate program coordinator.
Art Department students are advised to consult the following University publications for information pertinent to all Howard University students:
HOWARD UNIVERSITY STUDENT REFERENCE MANUAL AND DIRECTORY OF CLASSES (Available each FALL and SPRING semester and/or on the Howard University website: http://www.howard.edu/enrollment/registration/). These booklets contain valuable information on a variety of topics, such as:
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY;
- FINAL EXAMINATION SCHEDULES;
- UNIVERSITY CALENDAR;
- CHANGE IN PROGRAM;
- WITHDRAWAL FROM COURSES;
- TOTAL WITHDRAWAL;
- SCHEDULE OF FINANCIAL ADJUSTMENTS;
- INTRA-UNIVERSITY TRANSFERS;
- VETERAN’S AFFAIRS;
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS;
- PRIVACY RIGHTS OF STUDENTS;
- COOPERATIVE EDUCATION PROGRAM;
- CENTER FOR ACADEMIC REINFORCEMENT;
- PROBATION; SUSPENSION; READMISSION TO THE UNIVERSITY;
- GRADE POINT AND GRADE AVERAGE;
- PHOTO-IDENTIFICATION CARDS;
- BOOKSTORE AND CAMPUS STORE;
- PASS-FAIL REGULATIONS;
- COURSE REPEATS;
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY GRIEVANCE;
- UNIVERSITY-WIDE MINORS;
- UNIVERSITY SYSTEM OF JUDICIARIES AND CODE OF CONDUCT.
The booklet is distributed to each student at registration and should be retained for reference. Current copies may be consulted at the reference desk in the undergraduate library.
- SCHEDULE OF COURSES: For each semester, the university publishes a listing of courses that will be offered during a particular semester. The listing is available at http://www.howard.edu/enrollment/registration/#View_the_Course_Listings. You can enter your selections in Bison Web after having your courses approved by your academic advisor.
- THE HOWARD UNIVERSITY BULLETIN: This book contains academic information about the Division of Fine Arts, other colleges in the University and a complete list and
description of all courses of instruction offered by Howard University. It may be requested from the Office of Circulation and Information, and is available as a reference in the University Libraries.
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY BOOK (Student Handbook): This book contains general university information regarding code of conduct, housing, campus regulations, etc. It may be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs and is available on-line at: