Department of Art
Undergraduate and Graduate Admission and Portfolio Requirements
SAT/ACT/GRE: Check with the Office of Admissions, as averages vary from year-to-year.
GPA: Minimum 2.5 GPA is required for undergraduates and a 3.0 GPA is required for graduate applicants.
2. Portfolio Requirements
Applicants for admission to the Bachelor of Arts degree in Art History are not required to submit a portfolio.
Applicants for admission to the undergraduate Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in:
- Electronic Studio,
- Sculpture, and
- Design, including
- General Design,
- Fashion Design, and
- Interior Design
are required to submit a portfolio of twelve (12) examples of their work with no more than two (2) views of any one work. Slides should be submitted in a plastic slide page or electronically on CD or DVD and be clearly marked as to the title, materials, size, date and the applicant’s name.
Applicants applying for acceptance into the Master of Fine Arts program must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for admission. Failure to maintain the required grade point average (3.0) by any student will result in the denial of admission to candidacy and suspension from the MFA program.
M.F.A. applicants must submit:
- A portfolio of 20 slides with no more than two views of any one work, presented digitally, CD or DVD. The slides must be clearly marked as to title, materials, size, and date.
- A biographical essay, typed and double-spaced, consisting of no more than two pages. The essay may deal with personal history, motivational aspirations, and goals.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Applicants must send Portfolios and one (1) copy of the biographical essay to:
Chairman (Dr. Tony McEachern)
Department of Art
Division of Fine Arts
College of Arts and Sciences
2455 6th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20059
In addition, the following items may be considered in determining adequacy for admission:
- Interview and/or Questionnaire
- Written Statement of Purpose
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
Howard University Admissions Procedures:
All students must apply through the University. For more information about the University admissions procedures, please visit the University’s Admissions section.